700 College Road
Cumberland, KY 40823
(606) 589-3079 - Office
(606) 589-3186 - Fax
Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
We're pleased to welcome you to Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College. We’re happy to share with you information about the College. Founded in 1960 as the Southeast Center of the University of Kentucky, Southeast, now a proud member of the Kentucky Community and Technical College System, has evolved into one of the state and nation’s outstanding community and technical colleges. With campuses in Cumberland, Harlan, Middlesboro, Pineville, and Whitesburg, the College is well positioned to offer programs and services to Harlan, Bell and Letcher counties in Kentucky as well as to neighboring counties in Tennessee and Virginia.
Our curriculum is built around two primary components: (1) a transfer/pre-baccalaureate program that prepares students to move to 4-year colleges and universities for a bachelor’s degree, and (2) a technical/associate or applied science program that prepares students for immediate employment through completion of certificates, diplomas or degrees. There are seven 4-year colleges who offer degrees on at least one of our campuses, making it possible for many of our students to earn a bachelor’s degree without leaving home.
Whether you are interested in working toward a certificate or degree, need to take a course or two to upgrade your knowledge and skills or want to enroll in a course for the sheer enjoyment of learning, you will receive a warm welcome at Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College.
Services Provided by SKCTC:
Founded in 1960, Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College is a public, comprehensive community and technical college under the governance of the Kentucky Community and Technical College System (KCTCS). The College serves the KCTCS Southeast district and provides:
- Associate in Art and Associate in Science degree programs and courses designed to prepare individuals to succeed in baccalaureate programs at senior colleges and universities;
- Associate in Applied Science degree programs, certificate programs, diploma programs, and courses designed to prepare individuals to succeed in today's technological workforce;
- Continuing education, training activities and services designed to expand life skills and knowledge of our citizens, strengthen the existing workforce, and enhance community and business development;
- Academic support and developmental education courses and experiences designed to prepare individuals for success in transfer, technical, and continuing education programs and courses; and,
- Resources to promote the preservation of the Appalachian culture by stimulating artistic expression, serving as a depository for the region's history and cultural traditions, providing a forum for the arts through cross-cultural experiences, and promoting the arts in education.
The Kentucky Coal Academy at Southeast Kentucky Community & Technical College is dedicated to helping meet the demands of the mining industry. Working in partnership with industry leaders, our mission is to train highly skilled, safe and knowledgeable miners who are aware of and can cope with health, safety and production hazards inherent in the process of mining.
Southeast Kentucky Community & Technical College Small Business Development Center
Science & Technology Building, Suite 211
1300 Chichester Avenue
Middlesboro, KY 40965
(606) 248-0572 - Office
(606) 248-3267 - Fax
The Southeast Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides counseling and outreach services to seven eastern Kentucky counties and has been responsible for hundreds of business start-ups and expansions. This is especially important in our region, where diversification of the economic base, which has long been dependent almost entirely upon the coal industry, is badly needed.
The SBDC provides new and existing businesses with free one-on-one management consulting as well as business training programs for entrepreneurs and small businesses. Training topics include:
- Pre-Business Orientation,
li>Business Plan Preparation,
- Women Entrepreneurs,
- Home-Based Business,
- Small Business Taxes,
- Financing, and
- Technology for Small Businesses.
The SBDC has a number of resources beneficial to new and existing businesses located in our office. These include demographic information, industry studies, computer software, industry directories, training, videos, and business forms.